View Single Post
Old 30-01-07, 13:51

Default Casting Date Code

David,

Many thanks, now I understand the explanation, even if it does not fit the norm!

So, what I can now put together is the following:

From the GM Canada plate it is identified as a 1945 model 1311 1/2-ton Commercial Chassis with flat-face cowl, serial 91734 overstamped on the face with the letter 'P' showing it to be assembled at the GMH's plant in Western Australia. The engine number of CR4052600 has been stamped into the face of the plate.

From the engine block it can be confirmed the vehicle is fitted with its original engine as it bears the number CR4052600. The casting number of 839253 indicates wartime production by McKinnons Industries Ltd of St Catherines, Ontario. Although the '104' code does not follow the norm, but logically could be October 1944.

The Holden's body plate bears the Body No. 822, Model 45 -4526 and shows Month of Manf. '4', probably April 1945.

I am now quite happy knowing this Model 45-4526 Chevrolet Coupe Utility 1311 Series rolled off the line post April '45 but still early enough to fit in with its original as found 'war paint' condition and devoid of chrome.

Out of interest I intend to retain its Western Australian roots and finish it in the markings of the 2-7 Field Regt. RAA, part of the 9th. Australian Division who saw service in late '45 in Borneo.

Last request do you have any information/photos on either the GM'H plant at Perth or Adelaide ?

Ian