View Single Post
Old 06-06-20, 16:28
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Hingley View Post
If anyone out there can help, I have a few questions as listed on the photo attached.

The second photo is on parade, and the formation sign appears to be red background with yellow maple leaf.
Wayne,

Sorry for the late response but I've just seen your thread for the first time today. I think I can help you with your questions about markings for your truck.

In 1958 the Canadian Army Field Force reorganized from an infantry division to separate infantry brigade groups.

According to Annex F, Vehicle Unit Signs, of CAMT 1-36 Vol III, the unit sign for the infantry battalions of an Infantry Brigade Group was a red backing with a white serial. The serials used were 7, 8 and 9, which were allocated based on the seniority of the battalion within the brigade group. As the Black Watch would always to junior to the Van Doos, the other regiment in 3 CIBG, their serials would be either 8 or 9. These instructions applied to all three infantry brigade groups in Canada and to the one in Germany.

The formation sign would have been for the 1st Canadian Infantry Division rather than for Atlantic Command. All of the Canadian Army Field Force units within the brigade groups were designated as a part of 1 CID. Non-field force units would have used the Atlantic Command shield. So you're correct about using a red rectangle with a gold maple leaf.

Now the light coloured squares are a bit of a mystery. I'm inclined towards tactical signs, which would have designated which company and platoon the vehicle belonged to within the battalion. But it's hard to tell from the photographs. I don't think it would make your vehicle any less authentic if it didn't have them.

Cheers,
Dan.

PS: I've attached Annex F should you wish to have a look.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vehicle Unit Signs Bde Gp.pdf (134.2 KB, 13 views)