View Single Post
Old 15-01-15, 15:17
MUTT Guy

MRAP = Mine Resistant Ambush Protected

It's a class of vehicle which that one clearly is. Get over it.

EDIT to add:

Let me quantify some of my earlier comments so I don't come across as sounding too harsh.

The protective level of an armoured vehicle is that in which it provides to the occupants, i.e., from small arms, light anti-armour weapons etc. It has sweet diddly to do with what the crew is carrying or whats mounted on it. When the term MRAP is used, the first thing that comes to mind are FPI Cougar's and Buffalo's. They merely represent the top end of the MRAP scale. Virtually anything that is factory armoured and militarized these days is an MRAP (save for the light weight stuff like armoured SUVs used for VIPs). That thing isn't an up-armoured SUV nor is it a Brinks Truck... That thing is built to withstand something stronger; think armoured piercing and your getting close.

A threat assessment is used to determine what weapon systems and tactics could be reasonably expected from the "threat". This then allows the organization to determine everything from how high the perimeter fence should be to what equipment or weapons are required to defeat that threat. Following that, "needs" comes in the form of a Statement of Requirements which is then used to shop around, in this case for a Baby MRAP. It is not about just buying something because its cool, available, someone else uses it, or looks threatening. Its about equipping to meet the threat. This is why I mentioned that "I'd love to see the threat assessment that validated OPG's need for baby MRAPs (complete with cupola)". I'm not advocating for or against it, i'm just curious as a citizen of Canada.

A few years ago I was part of the military working group that determined the Tactics, Techniques and Procedures for EROC. If you're not familiar, EROC was the program that saw Canada purchase Cougars and Buffalos (and Huskys) for use in the opening of dangerous routes in Afghanistan. Additionally, I completed significant training on Security Engineering with US Army Corp of Engineers. This is where my babble about threat assessments come from. So, admittedly I know dick all about Nuclear Plants and Policing, however I am coming from a college level background of securing Vital Points and patrolling with MRAPs.

Good day to you.

Last edited by Scott Bentley; 15-01-15 at 19:25.