View Single Post
Old 20-02-05, 07:39
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Just for starters.

The problem should not be with the tranny itself, unless the Reverse Idler gear, Cluster gear, or Mainshaft gear have worn to such an extent that the gear teeth are tapered. These gearboxes have straight cut gears and do not create thrust forces like helical gears would. You say that the popping out of gear is happening after a professional rebuild, so I would presume the shop has not re-installed severly worn gears. The detent ball and spring in the shift tower of the gearbox might be worn, but once in gear there should be no thrust force on the selector fork to push it back out of gear.
I think your problem might be in the linkage from the shift lever back to the gearbox. Check for slackness when operating the shift lever or wear in the bush near the starter motor or the ball that connects with bowed rod on the gearbox. Do you have similar problems with 2nd and 4th? Will it stay in Reverse if you keep your hand on the shift lever when you make a turn? (A habit you should never get into normally).
It's unlikely, but check the engine mounts and the mounts under the rear of the gearbox. The engine and gearbox could be twisting under torque and making the shift lever rod from the front pull out of the selected gear.
At the base of the shift lever there is a socket that the shift lever sits in. This has a cup arrangement like a tie rod end and might need to be tightened up to take out any slack.