View Single Post
Old 06-02-21, 11:25
Darryl

Default M8

Hi all,

I have spent the last couple of days setting up the turret. When I initially got the turret on it didn’t seem to completely rotate well and felt like it was sticking or binding. I got the impression that maybe the turret was just a little off centre in sitting on the turret support rollers. I thought I might have had to give the turret a little sideways nudge but in the end, that wasn’t required.

I first made sure all the tyre pressures were correct and used a sprit level across the top of the turret to check that the turret was level. It was good so there was no need to adjust the support rollers.

I followed the instructions in the TM 9-1743 manual for setting up the turret roller blocks. I fitted all the turret roller blocks around the ring and tightened them all down. I only had to use a shim under two of the roller blocks. I think I could have probably got away without these but they helped with the installation of those blocks and the later adjustment of the vertical roller sorted everything out.

I loosened off the castellated nut on the eccentric spindle for the vertical roller and rotated the shaft with a screwdriver until I had 0.010 gap between the roller and the turret bearing surface. The manual says 0.005-0.010 but I just set everything up to 0.010 and it worked out fine.

I fitted the turret traverse. I used a grease oil slurry in it rather than just gear oil. I gave the turret a test run then and it traversed nicely. I noticed a couple of slightly tight spots and after checking around the base of the turret I can see where there has been some contact between the repaired turret skirt and the ring on the top of the hull. It looks like a bit of paint has come off so hopefully it is just the thickness of paint that is causing that.

I have noticed the turret traverse is smoother on the first speed of the traverse and it can be easily rotated with one hand on this speed. When switching to the second speed on the traverse, it certainly traverses faster but at times requires more effort. It is almost requires two hands to operate it like that. Is that normal or should it be just as easy as the first speed but at a faster rotation?

I was happy with the state of the turret so I decided to fit the roller block covers. I couldn’t find the required dome slot head screws in 5/16-18 so I have fitted some hex head screws for the moment until I find the correct screws.

These roller block covers are a neat fit. I’d have to say that once they are in there the turret looks real good and I’m very pleased with the result. The other 37mm ammo rack is now fitted and I just need to rejig the dummy rounds I have.

I fixed up the problem I had with the engine covers and the mounting plate. I have also made some handles up for the engine covers. I worked out that my engine crane can safely lift the engine covers so that is handy to know for future reference. I also had to move the fire extinguisher bracket by about 10mm. My placement of this wasn’t spot on and the seat tower was contacting it during its rotation.

That’s all for today.
Attached Thumbnails
20210204_130737.jpg   20210205_093504.jpg   20210205_121231.jpg   20210205_150012.jpg   20210206_164016.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car