View Single Post
Old 29-03-04, 04:57
GM Fox I

Default Sitrep

I passed through "CFB Borden" this afternoon to see what has been going on relative to the previous posts. I report as follows:

The museum is gone.

What's left is a half dozen transport containers and concrete pads where the buildings used to be. On these sit the museums's collection of WW2 tanks. I should say, for those who don't know, these vehicles represent, in most cases, sole surviving examples of the breed.

They now sit, exposed to the elements, in three inches of water on the remains of the old concrete floors. Water is prevented from running off by the stubs of the demolished walls.

The vehicles, to quote previous information, have been treated with a durable coat of pea-green paint which should give them "decades of outdoor service". Well, perhaps. The armoured hulls will still be there, but little else. Even now, rust on all soft metal surfaces has re-appeared. Seams and rivets are blistering. In many cases, sandblasting has revealed metal which the paint has missed.

All of them have openings, such as hatches not welded quite shut, engine vents and periscopes, which permit water in. Water has collected with years of flaking paint to form a wet sludge on the floors. The Vickers Mk.VI has gaping holes rusted through the bottom. More thickly hulled vehicles will keep the water inside.

I'm disgusted.