View Single Post
Old 02-04-20, 15:05

Default You will never go back

Hi Lionel

I went to auto darkening atleast 20 years ago, and would never go without. Just be careful not to drop your helmet they tend to be fragile I've had to replace mine. Of course while I was waiting for the new mask to come took the broken one apart and fixed it. Nice to have a second one when you are showing someone how to weld.

Like Grant suggested add a leather drape to the back to cover the back of your head and shoulders, not having light come in the back and reflect of the inside is a real advantage, particularly if you are welding outside

Now to take your welding comfort to the next level, consider taking your helmet with leather back drape to the next level with supply air. Cool air on your head, the screen doesn't fog up, no smell, no toxic vapor in the helmet. My system is home made using surplus or repurposed components. Total cost probably under $200 and that includes a grinding and sanding helmet with air supply. Little more work to add a supply air painting mask.

Cheers Phil

I'll dig out photos of how later today, the purple of the leather has faded a lot over the years, it started out a very bright purple. The last photo is of some of the other masks for the system.
Click image for larger version

Name:	mask.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	112981Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside helmet.jpg
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	112982Click image for larger version

Name:	Different masks.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	112983Click image for larger version

Name:	blower.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	112985
Blower is mounted up on the 2nd floor of the shop on the north side so it is pretty cool air.

Word of caution with supply air to welding mask, be sure to have a smoke detector in the shop. Once set fire to my sleeve and didn't know it until my arm started getting hot.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com