View Single Post
Old 16-10-14, 00:20
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Smaller tires, Rob, looks like a base mechanic's / museum mechanic's interpretation of whats right...
Quite often the museum's would use whatever tires are easily available. When you have to start importing tires out of the USA for a vehicle, the costs really start to soar. Other times, the original tires are just not available. When you start talking 5 vehicles, the costs add up. When you hit 50 vehicles, it really starts to get prohibitive. Sometimes one must live within their budgets. I have not had to cross that road yet, although I will admit to installing bar treads where chevrons should be. I have not installed michelin radials where the earlier tires should be, with the exception of one pair on a M114 155mm towed about 15 years back. End of the day a clean set of tires is a lot more palatable to the public than an old weathercracked or blown out, unsafe set of early tires. We try not to display vehicles on bare rims.

However, in this case, between Vanderveen's listings and Bob's recollections, it looks like the tires on the Base Borden vehicle may well be correct.