View Single Post
Old 13-10-14, 17:45

Default First hand knowledge....

I know the owner and actually rode/drove the beast back in the mid 70s when part of the OUTAOUAIS 4X4 Club.

There were seven prototype made...one was destroyed at LETTE by driving it repeatedly off a loading dock, at speed, until everything cracked. 6 were sold by Crown assets in Ottawa.

One was at Borden..one at the Kars museum, one was advertised on Ebay located on the West coast.... one was photographed in sand color, not top, on the East coast and this on in Cantley PQ.
One unaccounted for.

According to what we were told this one had a modified top and had been used for Photo shoots and was in very good shape. One of the under cargo box water tight lockers on the driver's side was damaged when backing up intoa single car garage wiht the lcoker door open.

It is all aluminium contruction...... independent suspension with modern off the counter parts for U joint etc. this truck came with 1/2 ton of spare parts and extra 14 x 20 tires whcih are now on the truck. On a sandy beach the large tires could drive over your leg without even a bruise.... not my leg but I was there when it happened.

The truck was very scary to drive has you sit in front and above the axle..... driving off the edge of a sand dune in a sand pit really made your stomach come up when you suddenly went over the edge.

Top speed was near 70 mph..... servicing was another storey... you could check fluids by lifting the cab seat which was large enought to sit 4 wide. Note our butts was a lot smaller in the 70s.

Any other repairs/maintenance requires removing the water tight floor panels of the cargo box....and crawling inside the hull..... disc brakes are mounted inboard near the axle gear pumpkin. The front and rear axle have a 3 to 4 inch spacer between the axle cover and the axle gear box..... this spacer is hollow and hollowed to theallow engine coolant to keep the hidden axle gears cool on long runs.

The hull is equipped with manual drain covers which must be installed to allow the hull to fill with water when fording shallow 3 or 4 feet fast flowing streams....or you float sideways...

Once out of the stream the bilge pump will empty the hull very rapidly and will shoot muddy, oily water about 20 feet off to one side. Which was always aimed at the cleanest 4x4 in the club at the time. YOu must remember to close them before hitting the lake.

We scared the bejesus out of a bunch of old Portugese fishermen fishing off the commercial dock in Hull when we drove down the dock to the boat ramp directly into the water...........wheeeee @!!!!

It would float nicely BUT with a scary nose down attitude...unless you had ballast in the cargo box.....propelled with the tires at a good clip. The tail gate is scallopped like the CMP and set up as a boat transom..... apparently a 25 hp long foot outboard motor had been proposed not sure if Lette actually tested one.

Climbing in the cab was made easy by a corrugated sleeve welded on the hub of the front axle... very maneouverable with excellent forward vision. In all our crazy stunts we never got stuck.... the winch was used occasionaly to pull out other club members.

when one considers the exclusiveness of this vehicle........ and the current going price of a M37 at $5K.... the 15K asking is not very much out of range.

From the recent pictures I would not be surprised if the engine was pulled and refreshed ....based on the clean blue paint.... the owner is a super Chrysler mechanic who rebuilds his own dragster 369 engines and if he worked on it I would stake with life on his work.

I will see if I can find some of the 70s pictures in the bush across from the Joachim dam on the Black river bridge.

I hope it gets a good home and gets the preservation it deserves.

Bob C.
Canada