View Single Post
Old 05-01-22, 06:13

Good thought Lynn.

If I may quote a portion of your post and explain an observation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
We need a place to store details about the various rests and how they are fitted.

It appears the Mortar carriers had the side mounted ones on the outside . . .

while the U.C. had them on the inside. (and the U.C. rear ones are on the outside)
If we can get some solid info added here it will help those following on.
Ford Canada, located in Windsor, Ontario, produced a 3” mortar carrier as a specific model. The model number C21UCM used the hull of the standard universal carrier MK-I*. No firing rests were installed. Any holes punched in the protection plates used for the installation of firing rests were filled by the riveting method. The engine cover firing rest of the standard U.C. MK-I* was not installed on the C21UCM.

Kits were also provided to convert existing C01UC MK-I* carriers to 3” mortar. Photographs of such converted carriers may cause discussion as some of the eight (8) original firing rests could have been retained or modified. An example could be the gunner loophole rest, which was produced in early and late heights of rubber material only.

The C21UCM 3” mortar carrier was eventually identified as a model UC2 on the data plate, particularly in contract CDLV 1555. (roughly October 1942 through July, 1943).

Are we limiting the discussion to rubber/wood as found on factory production MK-I/MK-I* models? IE not the update program to MK-II standard where firing rests were replaced with rolled steel.

If members want to discuss the updated MK-I/MK-I* to MK-II, C21UCG, C31UCW, T16 and Windsor could that be a separate thread?