View Single Post
Old 27-10-04, 22:29
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 60th Anniversary of the Italian Campaign

Gee, I wonder where 'Her Nibs', the Governor General was in July 2003, when it was the 60th Anniversary of the landings in Sicily (start of the Italian Campaign), or in September 2003, when it was the 60th Anniversary of the landings in mainland Italy, for that matter. A hell of a lot of old Italian Campaign warriors have passed since July-September, 2003, never to know that their time in 'Sunny Italy' is finally being honoured this year, 2004.

Now I beg to ask, why is it that they are saying it is the 60th Anniversary, when the landings in Sicily (the start of the Italian Campaign), took place in July 1943 and the landings in Italy took place in September 1943 and the Italian Campaign, itself, ended in 1945? 1943 plus 60 years = 2003 and 1945 plus 60 years = 2005, so why now, in 2004?

By the way, Burrow's story was in The London Free Press Monday, yesterday it was a picture of 'Her Nibs' and Smokey Smith, which I'm glad to see they remembered at least to take along to Italy with them, not sure though if they did this for 'P.R.' purposes or because they actually realized that it was during the Italian Campaign that Smokey won his Victoria Cross.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great that they are finally honouring the Canadian Italian Campaign Veterans, I'm just a little tired of 'Her Nibs' always ending up 'Front and Centre' whenever something along these lines is done.

Cheers