Thread: Wanted: Used sea container
View Single Post
Old 15-07-12, 00:49

I have owned two 20's and a 40' for many years and the best advice I could give anyone is:- Do Not sit your container on the ground long term unless in a very dry climate or very well drained location.
:- Do install a whirly gig ventilator in the roof or even better construct a basic roof with an air gap. This can be as simple as lengths of used decking resting on a number of cross timbers and held down with a couple of crosswise pipes and chains or cables. If the roof is given fall by using thicker timber at one end this allows allows the container to be set up level.
The tops of containers are flat and tend to have bellies in which water accumulates and it can require quite a tilt to run it off.
A more sophisticated roof can be constructed to attach at the corner lift/lock fittings without the need to drill a hole in the box.
Condensation can be a real problem and I have seen a great deal of materiel damaged because people thought that putting by it in a container they couldn't go wrong and it would be perfectly preserved when they opened the doors again

David