View Single Post
Old 17-10-20, 03:03

Let me start by admitting I know less about Ford CMPs than the Chevrolet versions.
The front axle appears to have the heavier type of steering knuckles (six bolts/studs holding the pivot bearing caps on) and the higher count of bolts holding the steering ends of the axles to the central core. Other than the FATs, most (all?) 101" WB CMPs had the lighter steering knuckles with only four so either someone substituted a heavier axle (hope they did both front and rear so the ratios match) or it was built that way as a FGT.
It is quite possible that if the Layrub coupling from transfer case to winch failed, someone might have fabricated a replacement from a driveshaft. Layrub couplings are still available but not nearly as easy to source as a used driveshaft that could be shortened. Are there signs of field fabrication or engineering by Bozo on the short shaft?
I don't know of any 101" WB CMPs other than FAT that would have had pigtails riveted to the frame. Attachment by rivet is almost certain to be factory, bolts would be simpler to do if you were transplanting in a winch. My impression (to be confirmed or corrected by others) is that although all Chevrolet's had the winch cross-member even without a winch fitted, Fords only got the crossmember if a winch was fitted.
The storage arrangement over the driver's head may be for an artillery plotting board.
I agree with Bruce that the gussets behind the doors were not normal on a standard cab. (The back of the cab prevented twisting/racking but since the FAT didn't have the stiffening of the cab back another form of stiffener was needed.)