View Single Post
Old 11-09-21, 19:58

Okay, I went back today, partly because two days ago I got a phone call from Kees Traas about there being some confusion over the locations of the markings I had told them to put on. In the end it turned out they fit after all, but I still think it helped a lot to be able to explain in person how and where they should go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7902.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	124606 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7911.jpg
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	124608

Note the replacement mudguards, which look quite good up close. The bow machine gun is a fake, made on a CNC machine, welded securely into the ball mount, whose shield has also been put back on (it rusted off a few years back). I didn’t really want to tell the guy who was obviously proud of his work that it shouldn’t be on this tank at all

Most of the wheels are the ones the tank had before, but some are replacements, including the front wheels on both sides, which are now the spoked, welded type. They both have blanking plates installed between the spokes, but are not the later “big hub” types that had plates like these from the factory. On the re-used wheels, the holes in the tyres were patched up with black rubber-like putty. I was somewhat amazed that the wheels actually rotate when I pushed them with my foot.

Here’s an interesting thing for the Shermanophiles:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7903.jpg
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	124607

The sprocket rings have been replaced, with an FMC one on the inside on the left-hand side. The other three are simple, plain types much more commonly seen.

The turret was indoors, and will be fitted soon, though it depends a bit on whether they can lift it high enough with a forklift, or if they need to get a crane in.

As for the tracks, they will be replaced by a second-hand set of T48 rubber-chevron type, that has just been sandblasted to get the rust off (Kees showed me a picture), so they await spraying black for protection. One thing is that the rubber on the outside is very (very!) worn, but the inner faces are still good.

It’s currently the intention to have the tank back at Westkapelle in mid-October or so, depending on how well the rest of the work goes and availability of the Army for transportation.