View Single Post
Old 14-06-22, 13:58
Terry Warner

Default What a bunch of cranky old men!

Gentlemen, I kept seeing comments on Holy Roller in the New Posts feed that I started in 2017. Today I re-read the last few years. What a collection of cranky old complainers! Nothing better to do than poke s#it at the project and complain about this or that, because 'back in my day ....'. You sound like that Monty Python skit of four old Yorkshiremen.

A few years ago (now here I go), I was assigned to put my arms around a very large and scattered collection of papers, printed materials, and maps at Mapping and Charting Establishment. It is a collection that Ed knows very well. I learned from painful experience, like Ed did, that historical preservation in a public funds setting is completely different from working on ones own private activities. What I might have liked to do would be impossible when confronted by issues and requirements I should have thought about two years ago and submitted a fully costed business plan with three Courses of Action, etc. In short, there were opportunities lost and others seized. It all came down to the project and how the project was executed, because in Canada projects are what work. Did anyone miss my emphasis on projects?

Let's rejoice in the small victories with Holy Roller. A) She is back on display, B) people know her name and recall the tagline part of her story, C) public institutions like Fanshawe College threw their weight behind the project, and D) Holy Roller has had some of the TLC she's been missing over the years. Sure, everyone would have done it differently but complaining here didn't seem to change much after the project was underway.

BTW, the Holy Roller beer wasn't hard to pour into a glass and manage to get down my throat.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!