View Single Post
Old 04-03-04, 15:56
carrier mech

Greg
Two tubes would almost make sense: The instruction shows the straps buckles on top and a single tube makes it very difficuly to tighten the strap as the buckle ends up curving back towards the windshield by the time it is snugged up.
The longer tubes are easy to modify; just cut them shorter and replace the two poprivets holding the bottom cap in place.
We used to carry spare antenna sections for these radios; the trees used to snap them off all too frequently. Of course all the antenna stowage tubes were hidden away back in the MT storeroom and the antennae sections were merely slipped behind the radio or back seat. The first time I ever saw these was when we prepared the radios for return to the supply system on receipt of the 524 sets.
We spent a week tying and tagging every spare cable and headset and finally hauling them all back to base supply. It was during this time I got the call to go regular force and on my return to Winnipeg 6 months later, I was somewhat surprised to find all the fruits of our labour at the local surplus yard in piles out in the rain.
Hmmm, I think I'm starting to ramble a bit.....