View Single Post
Old 16-08-07, 12:36

Default Dust or Dirt - Up the Glens !

Reading all the messages sent to this thread, I have to admit its very interesting and I saved all, because of its contents. Not only the information about “Sand, Dust & Gravel”, because "Sand, Dirt & Gravel” does not only sounds better, but it could be closer to the truth, especially when I read a personal letter from a SD&G Veteran - who was billeted at a house of a family in Hilversum in the Netherlands, in May 1945:
“. . . we appreciated living in a real home again & sleeping in a warm comfortable bed with clean white sheets, after living like animals in “slit trenches”, scared, dirty, always very “up set”, eating or trying to sleep with all the noise of war fair.”
These are the words of a Veteran who express his feelings, what happend more than 60 years ago. Another Veteran - Mr. Harry Towes – gave me a very special gift: the BOOK “Up the Glens” – 1783 – 1994, by Lt.Col W Boss & Brig.Gen WJ Patterson. I read the part of WWII because I wanted to make a real Time-line of the Glens with the locations & dates. So, there was only one way to do this: read it all in detail.
Reading the letter of the Veteran and “Up the Glens” shows, why we have to honour them all and commemorate the soldiers who died for our Freedom.
Sand, Dust or Dirt . . . it doesn’t matter, because it’s only a mini-tiny piece of the History of the Glens, but it was nice to read all the replies . . . . . . although, sometimes . . . I cannot understand one word (fella – zipperhead – Schu – TMD . . .) of it . . . and in that way I have to admit . . . I’m Dutch . . . ! That's why I want to thank all the Canadians who did support me with a lot of “translations” of abbreviations and information about the Canadian Army in WWII. You’re real, true, Supporters!