View Single Post
Old 11-08-07, 19:35
Gregory Pollard

Default sand, dust & gravel brigade

Hello Jon & Wigger,

Jon I am a goog friend of Cpl. John Angus McDonald 16 Platoon, "D" Company, S.D.&G. Highlanders. I am also a friend of Wigger.

In the book "JUNO Canadians at D-Day JUne 6, 1944", by Ted Barris, John Angus was interviewed. In this interview Barris mentioned, " The regiment spent three years in England preparing for the invasion on hillsides, beaches and roadways, and in woods and swamps, living up to its complimentary moniker, "the sand, dust, and gravel brigade."

It is quite possible that the name originated in Canada. The S,D.&G. Highlanders were at Debert Military Camp, Debert, Nova Scotia, before leaving for England. Debert was a muddy camp, there was no grassy areas, just mud and dirt, I have many photos of Debert that show this.

A quote from a letter sent from Debert to my Grandmother Ethel Pollard from my uncle L/Cpl. George Pollard, 18 Platoon, "D" Company, S.D.&G. Highlanders, " I am just waiting to see the gardens and the flowers. Down here they have no gardens and no flowers where we are. The only thing we have down here are red clay stones and bush. This country would make anybody go A.W.L. Cornwall is a king's Place compared to this hole."

I hope this helps,
Greg