View Single Post
Old 06-04-16, 01:26

The Wymah Ferry! I've been on that a few times.

Yes, it is a lovely area. I've been away from here for more than 30 years. Its been fun exploring the area again.

Even more interesting after doing family ancestry research, and finding out where my ancestors lived, when they first arrived in Australia, and revisiting those places with that in mind.

After the town of Tallangatta was moved, two of the work crew stayed behind, being my father and his brother. Both married local girls, and started up their own house removal businesses. My uncle Bob is shown in the photo of the other house on the bridge, with the old bus in the foreground, on the roof of the house. My dad is in the foreground of that one too, with Ernie Nunn.

When I was a child, we used to drive ahead of, or behind dad's truck, in an old panel van with the 'danger wide load' sign on it. I still remember being on some of the work sites, and always amazed to see a house hit the road. Dad once blacked out a small town, when they took down the power lines on their way into it.

Dad went back to Ballarat and to work for Ernie again, after my parents split. Uncle Bob stayed in the business for many years afterwards, but has died a couple of years ago now.

Uncle Bob moved lots of army buildings, into Bandianna, to become housing for the immigrants after WWII and moved buildings for workers on the Hydro Electricity Scheme.

Thanks again for the photo you posted.