View Single Post
Old 01-11-10, 14:31
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Browning View Post
I am in need of the value for the capacitor (condenser) in the base of the Bendix/Eclipse plug-in voltage regulator as used in the Sexton, and other Sherman variants. Both mine are bad, a well as the ones at the museum. I probably have one, but just need to know the value. Jesse.
Hi Jesse..
I don't know the value ..But here is some info..and paralleling capacitor will help and adding a heat sink will help to dissipate any heat.

the component has three legs: Input leg which can hold up to 36VDC Common leg (GND) and an output leg with the regulator's voltage. For maximum voltage regulation, adding a capacitor in parallel between the common leg and the output is usually recommended. Typically a 0.1MF capacitor is used. This eliminates any high frequency AC voltage that could otherwise combine with the output voltage. See below circuit diagram which represents a typical use of a voltage regulator.

Note:

As a general rule the input voltage should be limited to 2 to 3 volts above the output voltage. The LM78XX series can handle up to 36 volts input, be advised that the power difference between the input and output appears as heat. If the input voltage is unnecessarily high, the regulator will overheat. Unless sufficient heat dissipation is provided through heat sinking, the regulator will shut down.

http://www.eidusa.com/Electronics_Voltage_Regulator.htm