View Single Post
Old 05-08-18, 20:10

Paraphrased
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Millward View Post
Hello all,

I have just found all of the serial numbers on my Mk1* Carrier, but there is no T No.

The details on the upper edge of the front hull plate read:

‘- 3 1942 Ford 5868 (the a 2 under a broad arrow)’

The lower hull number on the rear angle iron is 4935

The hull number behind the commander is CB 4374

Does anyone know how I can work out the T serial No, or know how I can get any details on contract etc?
I do not see your engine number listed. Look on the left rear corner of the engine block, on the machined surface of the intake manifold. That number reads left to right. Once you have that number you could have an accurate data plate made.

Look to see your WD series T number, which may be partially concealed under the lid of the instrument panel. I believe you will find your carrier was produced as one of 3,400 made for War Supplies Limited, Contract WSL72.2. That research material was published by Nigel Watson in his 2006 publication Universal Carriers, Volume 1, Page 293. ISBN 978 0 9556009 0 6. I am suspicious the Contract number may read ‘WSL 72.250’ or ‘WSL 72.251’

Document research within the Directorate of Movements may show the shipping details from Ford of Canada for that carrier, however: the files are not indexed. At more than 150 reels with an average of 5,000 images per reel it is a labourious task.

Last edited by Michael R.; 06-08-18 at 15:26.