View Single Post
Old 20-11-14, 23:03
AKA Rick Wedlock

thanks kev for asking around on my behalf and thanks to all for your ideas especially chris for the very informative reply.
I have a 19 set in the Cromwell and was very keen to get the intercom working as we need comms to safely operate the tank, unfortunately my capacitor failed the first time it was powered up, no explosions but it got hot enough to start leaking brown fluid from the bottom of the case, I could have switched to vibrator but was advised not to by some guys who often use 19 sets as it was prone to failure. I have been trawling the net this evening and cam across the 19 set forum who are offering a solid state vibrator for £15 which I will order. I have also bought a 30uf capacitor from ebay which was rated at 450v A/C but could anyone confirm if this is ok with the dynamometer. ie does it produce AC or DC.
I look forward to hearing the replies as the radio is a really important bit of the tank which is often overlooked during restorations, plus in the short time that the capacitor worked we managed to get the world service on the headsets which was really cool, it sort of made the tank come alive in a strange kind of way.

cheers

rick
1942 Mk1* Carrier
1943 T16 Carrier
1945 Mk3 Dingo
1941 Mk3 Covenanter
1941 Mk4 Churchill AVRE (now sold)
1944 Mk6 Cromwell (now sold)
1952 Mk3 Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1953 Mk3 Centurion (breaking)