View Single Post
Old 31-01-09, 01:02
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Price View Post
Are you saying that there were two shades of green, one for the vehicle marking and the one I used which was for something else other than a vehicle?
Hi Jim;

Yes, the shade of green as per my earlier posting was the correct one for the background colour of a vehicle Arm of Service marking for the Queen's Own Rifles and all other component units of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade. The same holds true for the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade and the 5th Canadian Infantry Brigade and not to confuse you, but this same green was used by the 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade (of the 4th Cdn Armd Div) and the 11th Canadian Infantry Brigade (of the 5th Cdn Armd Div).

An Arm of Service marking with a green background when seen on a vehicle in conjunction with either of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Canadian Infantry Division formation sign would identify that vehicle as belonging to the intermediate (or second) brigade of the infantry division whose formation sign the vehicle bore.

In the case of the 10th and 11th Canadian Infantry Brigades, the green background colour of the Arm of Service marking on their vehicles, in conjunction with either of the 4th or 5th Canadian Armoured Division formation sign would identify that vehicle as belonging to the infantry brigade of the armoured division whose formation sign the vehicle bore.

I fear that when you contacted the QOR Museum curator, he may have misunderstood your question/request, because the answer he gave of dark green (or rifle green) being the proper shade, is correct for the identifying colour of the Regiment (used for unit signs, company signs, etc., within the unit lines), but was not the correct colour used for the background colour of the Queen's Own Rifles AoS marking while they served as a component part of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division.

I'll give you another example, the background colour of the Arm of Service marking of The Royal Canadian Regiment during the period of the Second World War was red, but the identifying colours of the Regiment were then (as now) blue, amber, black.

What I'm trying to explain, is that, YES, the background colour used on a unit's Arm of Service marking was something totally different and separate from the identifying colour(s) of a unit(/regiment) - one had nothing to do with the other.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Jim, I forgot to mention that the two other 'Rifle' regiments that served in the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles and The Regina Rifle Regiment, even though they were both 'Rifle' regiments, both had red as the background colour of their respective Arm of Service marking - both were component units of the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade - the senior (or first brigade) of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division.

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 31-01-09 at 01:35. Reason: Additional information