View Single Post
Old 30-01-09, 21:34
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Placement of Unit & Formation markings on Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Price View Post
Mark,
Below are the pages I received from one of the Forum members showing the placement which I used. Although not too clear, click to magnify them and you can see that the unit markings are shown to be on the port side front and back.

I checked Colin Steven's site and found the following:

" A typcial Canadian jeep in Normandy would have the following markings:
1. Unit sign - On starboard side of w/s and port rear bumperette.
2. Formation Sign - On front Port side and rear starboard bumperette."

Both methods make sense to me but I'd prefer to have the correct placement. If anyone else reading this post has any further information, please respond.

Regards,
Jim
Jim;

The attached illustration is from VEHICLE DATA BOOK, CANADIAN ARMY OVERSEAS, Fourth Section - TECHNICAL INFORMATION PAGES - VEHICLE MARKING SIGNS - published by The Branch of the Quartermaster General, Canadian Military Headquarters (London), March 1944.

(The second attachment shows the applicable markings for your vehicle)

As you can see from the illustration, your placement of the Arm of Service Marking ('60') and the Formation Sign (3rd Cdn Inf Div) on the vehicle front are wrong.

Also, the note regarding the background colour of the Arm of Service marking as being 'rifle green' on the illustration you posted is wrong. Even though the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada are a 'Rifle' regiment, the background colour of their Arm of Service marking was the shade of green that I posted in my earlier post and have re-attached to this post, it was not rifle green.

All the component units of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade had the same colour shade of green as the background colour on their individual unit Arm of Service marking. The reason behind this was so that the user unit of a vehicle could be readily identified by the combination of the number on and the background colour of the AoS marking (in this case '60' on green) and the Formation sign carried on the vehicle (in this case the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division) - the '60' on green, with the 3rd Cdn Inf Div formation sign - identified the vehicle as belonging to the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada (AoS Serial '60'), of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade (background colour green), of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division (maple leaf on french grey background).

The green background colour of the AoS marking in conjunction with the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, also identified the user unit as being a part of the intermediate (or second) brigade of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. This held true if the vehicle carried the formation sign of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division or of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division, the green coloured background of the AoS marking identified the user unit as being a part of the intermediate (or second) brigade - 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade in the case of the 1st Cdn Inf Div and the 5th Canadian Infantry Brigade in the case of the 2nd Cdn Inf Div.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
front_sign_loc 1.jpg   front_sign_loc 2.jpg  
Attached Images