View Single Post
Old 11-10-23, 11:23

Default Time for a restart, maybe.

Hello all,

I have recently found the time and energy to make a sort-of return to the LRT.

The first job is to straighten the very bent stub axles mounted in the rear bogie rocker assembly. The bend can be seen here in the gap between the axle spacers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LRT bent axle 10 2023.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	639.5 KB
ID:	136119

The axle carrys a seal carrier, then a spacer, the backing plate and lastly a large spacer plate. These just slid off, a little too easily I fear. The remains of the brake backing plate can be seen, it has been oxy-cut off probably due to the bent axle. It is held in place with six 5/8" UNF bolts and has a spacer behind it, which can also be see.

Name:	LRT removing the bearing seal carrier.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	637.5 KB
ID:	136120

To straighten the axles, I had long ago intended to use brute force in the form of a "porta-power" which I bought at a swap meet cheaply as it needed seals replaced. Having fixed it a year ago, I tested it and managed 27 tons pressure, so I figured that would be enough. I also have a fairly heavy "H" beam that I have used repeatedly to straighten stuff for many years and have never even come close to bending it. But I would also need to constrain the outer end of the axle while applying pressure at the inner end. To avoid damaging the axle end, I manufactured a collar designed to go on the end of the axle with a neat fit and hold it in place with the original wheel bearing nut.

Name:	LRT Manufacturing a adaptor collar to straighten the axles. 10 2023.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	136121

Name:	LRT Manufactured adaptor collar to straighten the axles. 10 2023.JPG
Size:	627.5 KB
ID:	136122

And here it is in place. As it is not long enough to carry 2 wraps of the chain, I found a neat-ish longer collar to go over it to get the length needed.

Name:	LRT Adaptor collar fitted to the axle. 10 2023.JPG
Size:	634.0 KB
ID:	136123

So far, so good.
Enjoy.
Sam, downunder.