Thread: Smle
View Single Post
Old 07-08-17, 02:30
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
I agree with Bruce et al: SMLE does indeed stand for 'Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield'.

I seem to remember that 'magazine' denotes fed from not only a magazine, but one that is detachable.

Lee is named for James Paris Lee, the designer of this particular bolt action, and Enfield after the Royal Small Arms Factory staff for improvements to Lee's design to make it what it is: a solid, fast, rear-locking, bolt action.

I've had both a No4 Mk1* T and a No.1 Mk3* HT with the Patt 1918 'scope, and thought the latter was a far far nicer rifle to shoot.

Never was able to procure a No.3 Mk.1 (T), but shot with one a couple of times: another nice rifle, but the SMLE was my favourite of the scoped .303 rifles.

However, the nicest .303 I ever owned and fired was a 1915 Enfield manufactured No.1 Mk3*. It had a walnut stock that was much slimmer with much more 'shape' than the Australian coachwood-stocked rifles I had.

My 'alfpenny's wurf...

Mike
Queensland Maple on the 1915 Lithgow...very nice and more than a match for British walnut (unless it's tiger stripe walnut of course...check it out on this 1899 Lee Enfield Carbine and tell me it's not the most fetching).

But the best shooter (though one who's looks need to grow on you) has to be a Canadian Model 1910 Ross. Once you get over that whole "the bolt could blow back in your face" thing it's a dream to shoot. Pull the trigger, settle in, aim, adjust and 'plink', right in the bulls eye.
Attached Thumbnails
WO32A.JPG   WO17A.JPG