View Single Post
Old 19-06-10, 18:27

It looks like I got it wrong. That’s what happens when one jumps to conclusions with checking on the facts.

I knew that the Crusaders were not Canadian, and that the 3rd Cdn Inf Div. had landed as part of the 1st British Corps. However, I did some more digging and found that there were detachments from the 93rd LAA Regt RA and the 114th LAA Regt RA which were supporting the landings of 3CID. In Richard C. Anderson’s book “Cracking Hilter’s Atlantic Wall” there is a table on page 145 giving the numbers of Casualties suffered by 8th Cdn Inf. Brigade and supporting units. It includes 5 casualties from the 114th LAA Regt. RA. So it appears that the Crusader III, AA Mk 1 belongs to that Regiment. Unless someone else can come up with better information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madame_faloola View Post
Hi John,

With regards to the picture of the Bofors/Crusader that you posted on 3rd October 2004 at 17.10, do you have any idea where it was taken? My Grandad was a gunner and landed on Juno beach on D-Day - he talks about being on a crusader tank, but that there were no armour plates around the gun.
Thanks for your help,

Rachel
Which unit did you Grandad serve with?