View Single Post
Old 31-01-04, 21:20

Thanks for the advice, I will get a letter from him for the archives. I did find out some more today, maybe you guys can tell me some more. My uncle was based at Camp Borden, then left for Aldershot, England. He keeps on telling me he was in the Ontario Tank Corps. He said on D-Day he went in on Juno Beach, he stayed 4 miles offshore until a beachhead was established. Once established he came in and proceeded to Cannes, where some of his groups troops stayed to mop up. He said that they then circled a peninsula cutting off the enemy and joined up with the Americans from Omaha Beach and captured a thousand Germans including a General. From there he said he went on to Niemagen and then Remagen (excuse the spelling). He said he was always a mile or two behind enemy lines and when a tank crew would come in with an injured gunner he would reequip and then send them out. He did not deal with vehicles, he said his Ontario Tank Corps. only used the Sherman Tanks and he never heard of the Kangaroos. He was a Staff Seargant, I hope you guys can help me now. I have to try and find the Insignia of Ontario Tank.