View Single Post
Old 08-01-04, 15:51
British Indian Army

Default No probs!

Tony I was only kidding as I'm sure the rest of the gang here knows!! I follow with interest the conversations on carriers as they are my "thing".

We can certainly see the shortfalls of this wonderful vehicle (biased) in hindsight, but it was also recognised in its development as well; chiefly no overhead protection from enemy fire let alone the weather! An armoured roof was designed and tested on the MkI carriers but was discarded as the crews found it difficult to get in and out quick enough!

I have two separate accounts from carrier veterans concerning the open top. One was from a veteran in Burma who said that the Japanese were extremely skillful using their efficent rifle grenade and could lob a grenade inside a carrier from quite a distance. To counteract this his platoon was issued with chicken wire to cover the carrier and from then on this became a standard issue item and one which he would never travel without. The other veteran was involved in Europe after D-Day and told me that before entering any villages or towns they would dismantle any hen houses and use the corrugated iron roof for their own protection by laying it over the back of the carrier. The Germans you see used to drop grenades from the windows as the carrier passed below. So that stopped that!
Cunning people these carrier crews!! Nowadays too!!

The Wasp, now that's another tank of oil all together! Came across some useful information in my notes. At optimum elevation a range of 70 yards was achieved by adding 3% aluminium stearate to petrol and a maximum range of 93 yards could be achieved with 2.5% rubber in the petrol. Must try that!!! Soon!!
Its getting cold over here.

Further trawling came up with the following which may be of some use for you Tony. Dated 31/12/49 the report reads:
Wasp Carriers in various theatres.
UK - 10 units, 45 S, 13 R
BAOR - 7 units, 46 S, 84 R
BTA - 2 units
BETFOR - 4 units
FARELF - 72 S

making a total of 283 vehicles. If anyone can explain these letters I'd be grateful. Know some but struggling with the S and R and the last two on the list.

Nigel