View Single Post
Old 02-08-07, 23:31
Derek Heuring

Default Re: "Born from a common Mother"

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
As it says on the Peace Arch between Canada and the USA.

Gunners and Sappers were born from the Board of Ordnance and definitely share many bonds- big booms, St Barbara, Ubique!, the ability to read and write and a love for big forts with "biguns" in 'em.

One small observation: a Gun/Skyguard Section was two guns (GDF 005 twin 35mm Oerlikons) and a radar trailer (Skyguard system). Two Sections made a Troop and two Troops made a Battery. Imagine THAT noise level!

Mike

Great bunch of guys manning the Skyguard. When my duties allowed I popped over for a tour. The young bucks were a little keen, they opened up on me with their C9 until their Master Bombardier told them that the exercise hadn't started yet and the Engineers were not yet Opfor. I think they were just itching to make some noise. He proudly showed me how the guns worked, the auto-reload, and the radar. He let me play with the controls for a bit. The guns can be fired automatically or manually. I was really impressed with the power and clarity of the CCTV images on the screen, too bad there weren't any bathing beauties down by the ocean! It's too bad I can't remember his name, we ended up buying each other a lot of shooters at the local bar after EndEx. I've never 'fessed up to this before, but the puddle of vomit on the stairs to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment's HQ was mine!
I remember getting a huge laugh while getting debriefed for an A.A.R. The Engineers built a large tent city at Camp Indian Head for over 1,000 soldiers. For some reason, just before the Exercise started large quantities of Navy types showed up, I guess they wanted to pretend they were ground pounders for a day. Many of the sailors were young females who occupied a lot of the time of the younger Engineers in my unit. In fact, some of the guys weren't getting much well needed sleep at night, if you know what I mean. During the debriefing, I was asked by a Petty Officer how it went having so many sailors around. Without blinking an eyelid, I quickly responded that things ran a whole lot smoother before the camp got covered in Seamen!

CHIMO!