Thread: Clansman
View Single Post
Old 21-12-03, 17:38
M38A1 CDN3

Default Clansman

This post is a follow on to discussions with dougiebarder which started with a generator 300W query. The subject of Clansman came up.

Clansman refers to a modular system of British Army field tactical radios. Try to stay with me, and remember the Clansman definition as I relate a true story.

I walked into a local in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. Having a beer, I was approached by a chap who had the "Grenadier Guards" mien about him. I suppose the fact that I was in uniform led to his approaching me.

Right away he identified himself as "so-and-so", stating "I'm a retired Major General of the SAS".

Well, right away, I started sifting info in my creaky cranial data base...Wait a minute...the SAS was a Regiment therefore the highest rank could have been only a full Colonel, but most likely a Lieutenant Colonel, certainly not a Major General.

We chatted a bit, and the pieces were not falling into place. Servicemen throughout the world can detect bullshit almost immediately. Perversely, I led him on.

With reference to the SAS, I asked, what did you think of Andy McNab's exploits in the desert.

His reply: Oh, that's all nonsense, he wasn't even there.(!)

OK, I said, during further conversation, what did you think of 42 Commando's actions at Goose Green?

His reply: Oh, Commando, we haven't used that term since World War Two.(!)

(Uh oh, this bugger's digging himself in.)

I then asked if the SAS were still employing Clansman.

His reply: Oh, yes. If they pass the medical, we'll employ them.(!)

I drained my beer, and, to his face, called him a ****in' liar, and left.