View Single Post
Old 10-05-07, 16:46

Default My understanding of Ford radiators

Gentlemen,

Apparently this is starting to get a little out of hand. So I will impart my knowledge and understanding ( not that this is necessarily correct )

To explain my picture and theory.

Picture 1. This is what I believe the bottom outlets for a MCP should look like. My understanding is that the radiator mounts lower than the chassis rails and the fan isn't mounted on the generator but on a '42 style carrier fan bracket, that mounts the fan upside down to the carrier.... and therefore inside the perimeter of the fan belts.

Picture 2. I have most often seen this type fitted to CMP's ( Blitzes ) whereby the engine mounts are on a chassis crossmember and just below the top face of the chassis rails. In this type of installation the bottom outlets are aligned with the water pumps. If this style of outlet is mounted in a carrier, it will be found that the outlets for the engine and radiator aren't aligned ( Salesman Bob can confirm this, as can Alan Newton and Reg Chapman...all whom found the same problem )

Picture 3. Presumed to be carrier type. The lower bottom outlets align with the water pumps on the carrier mountings. This type is commonly fitted in CMP's but requires slightly bent bottom hoses. This was the case with the FGT 8 (Aust) in the South Australian museum before the radiator was swapped with the non-fitting one from the carrier ( 2340 ). Bob sold a radiator fitted to a Blitz to a club member in SA that turned out to be this style. It also had the choke and throttle brackets fitted on the top tank outlets.
Attached Thumbnails
bottom tank outlets.jpg