View Single Post
Old 03-03-03, 01:22
Vets_Dottir

Thank you so much for your reply. I hope youremember that title too

It ain't easy reading the details because my imagination and empathy are pretty powerful ... but I like the facts.

...trussed up....god.

When I read somewhere that some of the soldiers had had their throats cut all I could think of was my stepfather slashing pigs throats on the farm, in order to bleed them. Its a slow death which I saw first hand as a preschooler. Need I say more?

I don't have all the `gory details'. Just that someones uncle (another Canadian POW who somehow escaped execution, he justdied last week)remembered:

`... a group of soldiers selected from a group the Nazis were leading to `the Abbaye???' ... the selected soldiers were led to a field and machine gunned to death...'

Gory or not, if my Uncle had the courage to go volunteer to war and knowingly risk sacrificing his life, I can certainly have the courage to read and know the gory details. I've two daughters...20/27 and a grandson 2 and one on the way. I want them to know the history and the ways and whys.

So...I search for memories and photos...info on the details etc so I can write about my Uncle, a simple country boy with Metis roots and a family back home, who gave it all up in his efforts to help.

If that ain't a noble story to anyone...then

So there!

Thaks again...Carman