View Single Post
Old 06-10-06, 16:58

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
...With regards the gentleman himself, why he would go after the Regiment is beyond me. I can only suppose that it's been so long since we've taken casualties so openly (a lot of our 'peacekeeping' casualties were back-page news if at all) that the public-at-large is ill-prepared to deal with the emotional effects of same...
Hi Geoff

I hope everyone is as common-sense minded as you.

What the public at large fails to realize is that the emotional effects are the same to each and every family that loses a soldier, whether it's our "back-page" UN casualties or the in-the- black, multi-edition-selling Afghanistan troops and their losses.

Too well do I remember Wallace and Bons (since I see their memorial every day), and Isfeld an Cooper (I was on that tour, or Jim Ogilvie (stood at his memorial in Bosnia on 11 Nov 2004). Take a look at this List and tell me how many you remember.

Soldiers and the Military do what the Govmt tells them to. It's a simple job really. All we have to do is our very best and that's more self-serving than anything else.

Where would Mr Hunter's Boy be if Sgt Gillam wasn't able to provide a little warning to his troops? Has Mr Hunter talked to Maureen Gillam yet? Does he know his son is only likely alive due to the fact Chris gave up his to get some shots off? Ex-cop or no; he should know better. I forgive him tho' as it's most likely emotion speaking. I too would be horrified to have a child of mine hurt but would also engage brain before speaking so publicly.

Rant over. The opinions and views expressed above are mine and mine alone.

Who's wearing Red today??

regards
Darrell