Thread: Canada on Fire
View Single Post
Old 10-09-03, 11:18
Vets_Dottir

Default a bit of an update

Hi everyone. Guess most of you around the world have heard about our (BC) old trestle bridges burning up... I don't know how many are still left but I think about 4 (out of about 18) Lots of folks upset about that and about rebuilding etc. I hear some big name stars have called to find out what they can do to help in the fundraising.

Meanwhile.... some people of Barriere just East of Kelowna and right North of Kamloops are struggling with their insurance providers ... finding out what they are and aren't covered and doing the horrible wait wait wait thing while they're homeless and needing money.

RAIN has been happening a bit... all helpful but still not enuf. Enuf to lift back road travel restrictions ... would have cost $3000 or6 months in jail to violate that restriction! Oh... also has been a standing $50,000.oo reward for reporting anyone deliberately setting fires.

Firefighters Cranbrook area very sick with some "mysterious" thing ... not SARS/Madcow/W Nile, donn't know what yet. Something toxic in the air would be a wise guess?

Our fire bigger... over 7800 hectares with over 100 firefighters and management of it got handed over to Ontario (Why???) A barge was brought in for a smaller (Balfour) community that can only get out by ferry. Ferry too small. Barge "just in case evacuation has to happen" which it still could.

In general...regards the fires, especially the big ones: People are reaching their coping limits of the "ongoing stress and coping" of it all. Some are maxed out.

I'm doing a RainDance daily