Thread: Motorcycles
View Single Post
Old 22-05-06, 23:13

I know of no single reference source. In terms of the British machines, there have been various magazine articles dealing with electrical equipment of the period but nothing specifically relating to the military versions. Most makers followed their pre-war practice and used Lucas components although some Matchlesses had Miller as did some smaller manufacturers.

I have copies of Norton WD parts books from 1937 and 1940 including the VAOS LV7s relating to proprietary parts which confirm that the same units were fitted to Norton and BSA at that time.

In Lucas terminology, MU headlamps had no switch panel (the 1930s fashion was for tank-panel mounted controls) and DU lamps have the switch and Ammeter panel.

Nortons at least always used DU lamps on the WD contracts.

The DU142 was the 1930s / early war 7 1/2" unit (referred to as 8") and the DU42 was the 6 1/2" unit which replaced it.

Blackout masks seem to have been supplied by various manufacturers and I have not seen any factory fresh shots showing them fitted. Were they perhaps fitted locally according to requirements ?

If you would like to see copies of the relevant pages from the parts books, let me know (they relate to Norton contracts C9681 and C5109) Likewise if there are any specific areas that you are looking for confirmation on then I can have a ferret through my back-issues.

By the way, was Orchard & Madden a useful purchase for you ?

Rich.