View Single Post
Old 23-04-06, 05:22
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Having served at the Officer's New Year's Mess dinner I can tell you it wasn't all that bad a duty. I initially was amazed at the quantity of liquor put aside for the dinner, but I soon realized why...it was because the PMC allowed for pilferage by the jr. ranks who were acting as Stewards. Sort of a reward, as it were. I personally accounted for 2-40 oz. bottles of Drambuie, 2-40 oz. bottles of Grand Marnier, a bottle of 18 yr old single malt, and a bottle of Port. All that and I didn't have to report for duty until 1200 hrs. the next day!
I got to see the other side also. At the Christmas Mess, as the camp's oldest Corporal I swapped tunics with the R.S.M. and sat at the head table alongside Mjr. Gen. Ross, the Force Commander; our camp's C.O. and their lovely wifes! Now there's another story! Shades of Animal House!

CHIMO!

The Queen!
Sapper 740:...Ain't it the truth! The JRs always seemed to have a good glow on after being servers at a Mess Dinner.

We also did a similar thing, having the youngest "boy soldier" trading tunics with the CO and he (the young 'un) sitting to the CO's right during dinner.

Good stuff...Regimental and all that...here's to us!