Thread: Laundry
View Single Post
Old 12-03-06, 03:19

This is one of the rare occasions when I agree with Jon. According to Dan Dancocks book “welcome to Flanders Fields” the Germans started murdering Canadian PW’s during the Second battle of Ypres in April, 1915.

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Herr Meyer's book lists many instances reported by witnesses where Germans trying to surrender were summarily executed by their captors, although the time line suggests that such actions such were in response to German atrocities.
There are many accounts by Allied troops of false surrenders by German troops. One or more Germans would pretend to surrender to lure our troops out of their positions. Other Germans would then open fire on those foolish enough to expose themselves. The expression ‘fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me’ comes to mind. There are also accounts of SS troops shooting German troops in the back who were attempting to surrender.

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
There were also reports of Allied fighter-bombers strafing and rocketing German field hospitals and ambulances in Hubert Meyer's book.
There are many occasions when the Germans did not respect the Red Cross. Also the Germans often abused the Red Cross by using ambulances to transport armed troops and supplies. During their attempt to escape from the Falaise pocket, the Germans adorned many of their vehicles with the Red Cross in an attempt to escape destruction.

One must remember that if the Germans did not start the damn war in the first place, Canadian troops would not have needed to go to Europe. Also any “atrocities” committed by Allied troops pale when compared to what the Germans did during the War.