View Single Post
Old 14-02-06, 09:02

DCLI

For information on the Humber Scout Car, I would recommend buying a copy of Wheels and Tracks Number 45.

The big unanswered question on these vehicles is if there were any open top production versions, or if they were all battlefield modifications. An engineer friend of mine who has inspected one assures me that they were factory produced, but unless some one knows different, there is no period documented proof?

Having an open top late war version would certainly fit in with the docterine of the period with Mk3 Dingo's, and late production Lynx having cloth tops. All earlier Dingo's lost their steel roofs during post war rebuilds.

There is a picture of a soft top version in one of the current editions of the Military Vehicle magazines, but even in this he states that where they were produced is uncertain.

Does anyone have any additional photographs. I understand one of the ex-John Marchant examples ended up in Norway. It would also be nice to hear of a Scout for sale, but they are obviously very rare