View Single Post
Old 24-08-05, 02:15
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Correct Language Use

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Jon
Thank you for correcting my spelling error. I love the English language and try to use it correctly at all times.

Now it is my turn.

A couple denotes two whereas you quoted three examples. Your quotations of the incorrectly spelt words also lacked opening and closing parenthesis plus a quotation should also be presented in italic script.

At the outset you should have explained whether your usage of the word "meant" was in relation to the meaning of the word or its spelling. We all knew what we meant to say but we probably did not mean to incorrectly spell the words. Perhaps Sunray could incorporate a Spell Checker in the Tool Bar.

When listing with the use of commas the last comma is not required as the word "and" completes the list.

I detest words such as "no" or "got". Perhaps you could have said "a message deficient in punctuation"

A double space is required between a full stop and the beginning of a new sentence.

Would it not be more gramatically correct to say "The purpose of punctuation is...".

It is not required to state a degree on an emotion. You are either annoyed or not annoyed.

Enough of this for now, but perhaps a parting shot. I always believed the christian name John was spelt as I have just written. What is the derivative of "Jon"?

Bob
Well!!! Talk about being hoist by one's own petard!!!

OK, Salesman Bob...you got me good (Jon is a teen age affectation of the spelling of my proper Christian name).

And to the others...

Clive: I think I'll run along and run on a sentence or two...

Cliff: Fair dinkum, mate...

Glowworm: Sisyphean task indeed...

Chris: You can piss off too, (We're still friends, though, right?) See you in Acton next month.

Mark: I say old boy, I had a similar problem with a recent transmission from Sunray. Totally garbled. Did you say something about putting the blocks to someone?

Great fun, this. Don't you all agree?