Thread: WW2 RCA Gunner
View Single Post
Old 23-05-05, 19:18
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
You do come up with some great questions don't you? Hard to be specific in an answer too.
Ah, yes, the beauty of open-ended questions invites all sorts of replies ... and I can see by the great and informative replies so far that I started another very good thread here that shines light on more of our WW2 history and our Canadian soldiers.

It almost breaks my heart to know that when I knew and visited Uncle JOHN R. VIZNAUGH (1913 - 1974) as a small child, I never knew anything about his service. I do remember I loved his huge beautiful blue eyes and "brushcut" (that should have been a clue : ) and that Mom loved him to pieces ... and I was always mesmerized by him and was excited every time we were heading out to Stoney Point to see visit him too He was a wonderful character ... also made great white lightening and home brew that was much liked and consumed!

I'll have to try and find out Uncle John's Service Record Number somehow. I'd be very interested in getting his service records (hell, I'm interested in getting all my relatives service records, who went off to war)

Uncle John, being Grannies brother, was then also first cousin to brothers who lost their lives, same day, in WW1:

1) Private Archibald James Viznaugh went MIA age 24 `Remembered' on the Vimy Memorial. He was with the Canadian Infantry, Manitoba Regiment, 27th Battalion.

2) Private William Viznaugh, age 18, buried Bapaume Post Military Cemetery. He was with the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles, Saskatchewan Regiment.

See this thread for more WW1 info:
http://mapleleafup.org/forums/showth...light=Viznaugh

Quote:
By RCA I assume you mean Royal Canadian Artillery?
Thanks Dave, Yes, I've been told from a few that it IS Royal Canadian Artillery

Also thanks for giving me a bit of an overview about some of what Uncle John may have seen/done. Now I REALLY wish I had his service records, to know for sure!

Quote:
Bob, Chrissie's cousin (once removed) was with the 4th Canadian Armoured Division ( If memory serves me correct it was 15 Field Regiment, with 25pdrs). He landed on D+3 and fought through France, Belgium and Holland; including the infamous battles around the Scheldt Estuary.
Wow, to Chrissie's cousin ... I've been watching a LOT of movies and documentaries with Geoff's running commentaries since arriving here that shows/tells a lot about these battles ... and I'm amazed that Chrissie's cousin sounds like he made it all through?

"There but for the grace of god go I " ?

Karmen