Thread: WW2 RCA Gunner
View Single Post
Old 23-05-05, 17:42
MLU Administrator

Default Blackburn's windmill

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
The books by George Blackburn are very good and I strongly recommend that you read them. If you can’t read all three at least get “The Guns of Normandy”. George Blackburn was one of the people interviewed for the show “Canada and the Liberation of Holland” which was shown on Global on Apr. 30th. He was telling about his time he spent in the windmill in Holland. This is also covered in his book “The guns of Victory”.
When Geoff was over in Holland a couple of years back, he mentioned he would like to know if that windmill still existed. Guess what? Last May 7th a commemorative plaque honouring Canadians was unveiled by Groesbeek Airborne Friends. Sadly, I only found this out the day after the fact, otherwise I would have made sure I was present...

"George Blackburn of the 4th Field Regiment speaks during the unveiling of a commemorative plaque in front of the windmill which he used as an observation tower during winter of 1944 and 1945. Mr. Blackburn was a Forward Observation Officer (FOO) with the Canadian Army. He is member of the Order of Canada and received the French Legion of Honour."

"The still functioning windmill which George Blackburn of the 4th Field Regiment used as an observation tower during winter of 1944 and 1945. The windmill was built in 1867."

"Mel Squissato greets his friend George Blackburn of the 4th Field Regiment after the plaque unveiling. Mel stayed with George during in the winter of 1944-1945 so that he would not be alone."

"The upper area of the windmill as it looks today."

"The view from the top of the windmill as it looks today."

Source: VAC Year of the Veteran Photo Journal - May 07, 2005