View Single Post
Old 28-04-05, 20:14

Hello,

I indeed wanted to discuss about Hill 140 but… what to do...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Johnson
As for 1. Dywizja Pancerna, it wasn't near the Cintheaux area as it was preparing to attack south, on the east side of St. Aignan at 1355 hrs, approximately an hour after Wittmann's demise.
I agree.

The Polish statement that the Polish 1st Armoured Division destroyed Wittmann's tank is pure absurdity and propaganda. We can tell all possible things about the Polish activities on August 8th but not the sensational message that the Poles destroyed single German tank then. It was the day of unsuccessful combat debut of the Polish division. At first the Poles broke the order to attack southwards and turned left, eastwards, from Saint-Aignan-de-Cramesnil. That is why they clashed into the 1st NY which episode is well-described in Professor Ken Tout's book "A Fine Night For Tanks". This part of the Polish Division which disorganized the rear of 1st NY was heavily beaten, dispersed, disorganized and nobody fought then successfully against the group of the Tigers. I mean the time between 1335 hours and 1600.

Best regards

C.

Last edited by Crewman; 28-04-05 at 22:06.