View Single Post
Old 16-04-24, 04:39
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Big end bearings

The 1937 to 41 military CS8 truck engine had it's genesis in the family of pre-war Morris 25 engines, the Morris 'big six' sedan of 1937 to 39 utilized the 25hp 82mm bore engine, the basic block was used in both civilian and military vehicles with variations in the cylinder heads, pistons, manifolds , carby and water pump. They are similar to other pre-war engines: poured big end bearings as used in the CMP Chevrolet 216.

I found a 25 engine out of a civilian Morris truck, the crankshaft and bearings are good enough for my needs . I plan to make up a engine from the two engines I have stripped down. I have new valves , pistons and valve guides (made by me). Just need to find a good engine machinist ..

These engines have a few peculiarities i.e. there isn't a rear main crank seal in the normal sense, they used a large flange with a threaded o.d. that throws the oil back . The dynamotor is chain driven by the duplex timing chain. The crankshaft has no counterweights.The military carburetor is a special updraft Solex-dustproof. Fuel is gravity fed to the carb from the Autovac vacuum unit that is mounted on the dash panel.

Another oddity is: the Leyrub joints, these are rubber 'universal joints' on each end of the prop shaft.. These joints are still available new. .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 16-04-24 at 12:06.