View Single Post
Old 15-02-24, 20:32
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Geratic View Post
I downloaded a digital copy of this book and THE only mention of radio equipment is the A and B set for the No.19 wireless. Suppose there is a chance the info is wrong or incomplete.

Attachment 136999
The M10 is a small self-propelled gun, basically a 17-pdr with more mobility and protection. It would not require supporting infantry (which was the main role of the 'C' set (WS38, then WS38AFV, WS88AFV and WS31AFV later on), as I think its own role was support for other armour).

I'll have a look in the "Wireless Diagrams" section of the Royal Signals Pocket Book (Part 2, Wireless Diagrams, 1945) at some point - this shows typical Nets, set allocations, etc. for units and formations - and see what's listed for the RAC at the close of WW2.

Bear in mind that armoured vehicles were common to various armies and those armies had very different ideas about the radio fit required - so the tank hulls and turrets would be manufactured with a "default set" of aerial mounting positions and what would be fitted depended on the country, role, and individual unit - with later modifications for "specials" such as command tanks, etc. as tactics evolved.

(Fitting the WS19 'A' set aerial base to a Sherman required different parts to a Pershing (T26E1) because the later U.S. aerial base used a hole in the armour about three times the diameter of the UK tank(s) - so there was a spacer kit and big washers involved!)

Best regards,
Chris.