View Single Post
Old 13-02-24, 22:09
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Geratic View Post
Is this where the G rod length measurement would lie as represented with the green line? The forum has its diameter quoted as 1/4 inch so the thickness of that green line is also scaled to match the length. Visually it seems the rod in the photo would be near double diameter and it does appear much heavier than the aerial located on the hull front.

Attachment 136990
Nope! The green line (10 inches visible) is part of the Achilles, and would be installed during construction ready for a wireless fit (likewise the shorter pillar on the front glacis plate for the 'A' set aerial). It will terminate in a circular flange with either four, five, or six holes depending on which "Aerial Base No.? Mounting No.?" is intended to go on top of it. In this case it's got Aerial Base No.9 Mounting No.3 fitted, which has a hollow rubber cylinder and loose clamping ring at the bottom, the central stalk is fitted to the top, and the top section is larger to match the Aerial Base No.9 (which fits over it and is secured by four screws) and Aerial Rod 'G' screws into the top of that.

The question is: can I put my hand on the one I've got at this time of night?

(Answer: No. Darn it all to Heck (in lieu of anything stronger - I must have moved it during the last sortout).

Back to the photograph... the tip of the red arrow is pointing at a white stripe; this is the nickel-plated inverted cup that is the start of Aerial Base No.9, and has a Pye connector in the centre with a pigtail lead that goes up to the (again nickel plated) top cap on the ribbed rubber insulator - the aerial rod screws into the centre of the top cap (2BA thread (I think)). The coaxial feeder (Leads, Aerial, No.2 ZA.3142 or No.3 ZA3143 from memory) is stuffed up from inside the hull, attached to the aerial base and the horseshoe shaped wire clip fastened, after which the clip is secured with some twisted copper wire and the base attached to the mounting with four screws. The aerial leads for the 'B' set are a tuned length and must not be shortened.

That mounting looks like the one I have (somewhere), and most of it is thin-wall duralumin tubing painted dark green (wrinkle finish) which makes me think it's USA manufactured.

The Australian version used a big steel coil spring instead of the rubber mounting at the base of the mount.

Hope this is some help, I'll continue looking for the mounting.

Chris. (G8KGS)