View Single Post
Old 27-12-23, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
My Chev cab 11 is 03851........ probably the same week...

BC

....and also came from Petawawa late dispursal in 1946.....but a Chev.

*****?????? did Ford and Chev have separate serial number sequences or the vehicle number given by DND on receiving the vehicle....

Bob,

I believe Serial Numbers were separate between ford/Chevy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Great project, and a very early example.

Being located in Canada , I guess you will be looking for a original 1A1 or 1A2 body to measure up . Then building your own 1A1 as I did for my C8 . The 1A1 body is straightforward to build except for: some of the panel folds are complicated and require a good skilled sheet metal fabricator, I looked around for ages until I found a chap who was skilled and knew how to do the job. The old style checker plate floor pattern I could not find anywhere, so I used a modern equivalent. I enrolled in a welding course at the local TAFE (trade school) and I used their metal fabricating equipment to make up many of the body parts.

I suspect that Ford Canada built their own 1A1 tubs. Does anyone know more ? The early Chev C8 1A1 tubs have a 'WD Beath' makers tag on them. I have noticed some differences in the Ford and Chev tubs so it seems that there was more than one builder.

I have the Chev type Beath 1A1 body drawings , these were measured from a original tub . The vehicle is now owned by Nick Bullock .

For some reason, F8 vehicles are scarce outside of Canada, a few , maybe less than ten ? remain in Europe and I know of only one survivor here in Aust. (Sydney). Keith Webb unearthed an old pic of a F8 taken down at the Warrnambool stock car race track in the 1960s so there were a few more around. Jim Benny got onto a F8 that is located in a remote Western N.S.W. region - but it is a unconfirmed sighting.

Mike

Dad was able to locate the correct cargo box for me a couple years ago when I was Latvia. When he sent me the link for the online ad, I am sure he could hear me across the globe yelling to buy it soonest.
As found it was beaten up, but complete with all the hard to find fittings, step and tailgate. I've lost the pictures dad sent of the restoration, if I remember the floor and the rear panels on either side of the tail gate is original.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4433.JPG   IMG_4432.JPG