View Single Post
Old 12-11-23, 15:46
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
... I've seen telephone numbers as registration numbers on a jeep (the owner confirmed it!), and a hodge-podge of AIF, and AMF markings co-mingled, let alone the ones that pop up as pure fantasy. Sure, the 'barn find' MV is a gem, but there are precious few of those, and most go down the restoration path, spending considerable time, effort and money to bring a vehicle back to near factory fresh. But then apply a set of spurious markings.

I asked a British Gulf War collector that question. His four Rapier AA missiles had the same serial number, marked "SERIAL #". He said it was the birthday of the fellow who'd helped him with all the restoration.

Not mine, but it did prompt an engagement over the piece and its return from the grave. Maybe that served better than a perfect set of correct numbers. I say that because reading my nearby base's Ammunition Orders, they require empty containers to have the original contents markings cancelled. Spray paint is the easiest way. Horrible on the supply of unique or appropriate boxes for the future, but in the Ammo Compound it keeps their work simpler today and next week.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!