View Single Post
Old 13-10-23, 03:50

Default Even the best museums strip the inside.......

Did you ever take a peek inside the Churchill bridging tank at the CDN war museum????

It has been gutted......totally....... engine, ramp firing mechanism, seats, fire fighting extinguisher system, bins, engine bulk head, external fording air and exhaust extensions, etc......... and "they" claim that was the condition it was in when they got it.... no parts saved in the warehouse..... you would think the complete power pack of the flat 12 cyl. Bedford engine could have been saved and displayed on a stand!!!!..BS

I have pictures of all the inside when it was found in Kemptville....... along with a twin brother....... and I was there when it was moved to the Annex on Sussex and dumped in the late Friday afternoon traffic on Sussex Street.

I did save one of the track links that was laying around ......also there were the heavy 3 inch armoured cables used to fire the rockets and extra girders to hold the front ramps partly erect.....and boxes of heavy bolts. The second Churchill tank was cut up for scrap the following Spring along with the whole scrap yard.........but that was the yard owner's prerogative.

Sweet memories ......... Early Winter 72/73
Canada