Thread: Wanted: Wartime Commer Project
View Single Post
Old 30-08-23, 14:25
MLU Administrator

Default Commer Q2 in France - continued

Because I have an interest in the Q2, I visited the seller, Mr Laurent Golisset in Trigučres while on holiday in France. Mr Golisset went to a local estate sale of a deceased collector. It was a huge selection of mainly US WW2 vehicles from which he bought an M26 Pacific Tractor. Mr Golisset bought this Commer Q2 and a Ford CMP F30 as well, only to prevent them from being scrapped. He has no interest in them and has managed to sell the F30 in the meantime, but the Commer is still there. Mr Golisset has lowered the price recently - see the ad above - as he needs to move this on.

It is very complete down to two instruction plates and gun clamps inside the cab. The engine head has been taken off as it is stuck, but all the parts seem to be there - except for a missing left-hand half shaft which I think can be sourced from other Commer trucks. The rust in the cab is in the usual places, especially in the lower doors, but it is not bad at all for a truck which has stood outside since the mid 1980s.

I have not proceeded to buy this as a reality check proved I have too many projects at hand. So I hope you (or someone else) will save this - I fear it will be scrapped if not sold soon. I have attached some of the photos I made during my visit. I trust this is of use to you Kevin, and I hope you will save it! Let me know if you want to see some more photos of are in need of contact details other than those available through the Leboncoin ad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170750.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	983.8 KB
ID:	135575 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7309.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	799.4 KB
ID:	135576

Name:	IMG_7312.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	759.4 KB
ID:	135578 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170748.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	693.0 KB
ID:	135577

Now, how did this Commer end up in France? Like in most European countries, most if not all of the transport was seized by the German occupying forces. So after WW2 there was a huge need to resupply vehicles to the armed forces, public services and vital civilian operators.

From the original "carte grise" (grey card = vehicle registration certificate) which comes with the truck it can be deducted it was first registered with a civilian owner in France in 1946 and it must have been one of a large number of British vehicles which were transferred to the French authorities for the reasons above. This is one of the late Q2's as shown in the Commer Q2 Van thread, I think this was delivered as a unused chassis/ cab, as it was fitted with a wooden flatbed body with removable sides in 1946 (which has since rotted away). I also have a period photo from a French magazine of a Commer with a van body somewhere. Who knows there may be another Commer truck sitting in a French barn somewhere? Chances are slim, I believe, so I hope this one will be saved and restored soon.

Name:	16123728317_6b14c450f8_o.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	657.8 KB
ID:	135579